Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Are You A Collector?

Authentic Shaker Boxes

My father who was the ultimate collector used to buy things in the hopes that when he died it would be the greatest Auction of all time. Well sadly it will be This  Labor Day Weekend in Vermont. I will post the link tomorrow. Here are some of the things that you can find at the Herb Yalof Auction.

Authentic Shaker Boxes he had hundreds! Oh and we found so many amazing treasures inside!

Brass Hand bells - at least 60.  On his last day he gave me a bell and we made a deal that if there was life after death he would ring the bell. Well the bell rings all the time but it is because my kids keep finding it and ringing it. I love that bell!

Herb used to buy other peoples collections at Auctions. He loved thinking that they spent thier whole life collecting Brass Candlesticks and that in one raise of the hand he could have their life''s work. So I really think he had at least 70 and he lined them up on the beams of our house from small to large. It was a spectacular effect!



He LOVED Secrataries but fortunatly for my mother the kind that look like this with the roll top - He had at least 6. Sadly none of us wanted any.


DIVINE DECANTERS 


Oh and sooooo much more!   I used to be a huge collector of Glass paper weights, vintage purses,  and Bright cased glass vases which I still love. Are you collecting anything or in love with a collection you have seen? 

Thanks Jane for reminding me of
my Dad's  Seltzer Bottle Collection
phoyo Via Tablet 
Photo: Antique Seltzer Bottles by dnevill / Dan Nevill;


Isn't this piece AMAZING! This was in his Park Ave Apartment and it was stunning  
Lot No. 200: Inlaid mahogany armoire with drawers and doors. Bought at Harrod's London Approx. 7'10"
This is one of my fathers paintings - He had sooo many of these paintings that had eyes that follow you wherever you go. He was the only one who liked them . 



The Herb Yalof Auction will be held at the William A. Smith Gallery

W.A. Smith Auction Gallery in Plainfield, NH
When: Almost everything on Sunday and a few pieces on Monday  September 5  & 6 2010
at 1:00 PM and Monday
Click r_arrow here for a Detailed Listing


It is a two day Auction with other peoples stuff mixed in
For the LOTS click here 

11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your father! How beautiful about the bell, though - and I think your father is having your kids ring those bells so you know he's watching over you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWW thank you Traci - You are so sweet to say that and it means a lot! I think you are right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my - how bittersweet for you. And just a bit sad. And just a bit happy. My father collects odd and charming things too, like very old glass bottles. I am sure that the lucky purchsers will get something very special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh Jane I forgot about all the Seltzer bottles he collected - Thank you for reminding me! Was that what your Dad collected?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post.
    Yes my favorite collector item is old crosses ( some european, some black, some rsary's and some just unique). I have paid anywhere from $5 - $150 for them. The thrill of the hunt is the best.
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your father sounds like a very interesting man. I'm sure he influenced your choice of career. So sorry to hear of his passing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES - LOVE the junt!!!! Thanks La Maison Fou and Karen for the comments

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sorry to hear about your father. In an interesting way, your father will be remembered by others unknown (or even known) to him and appreciate his efforts as a collector. It's always fascinating to hear about previous owners of a collection and any stories associated with the finds. Your father must have had some great stories!

    The idea of buying in hopes of having the greatest auction of all time is great. It seems to be every collectors dream, which is a fun thought to have in mind. The thought runs in my mind when hunting for new additions to my small collection: mid century chairs and tables, architectural blueprints and sculptures and world's fair ephemera.

    Thanks for sharing this with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your father had impeccable taste.
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Suze! You have me crying! I would have loved to have met your Dad (the-love-of-my-life-dachshund was named Herb). I'm sure he shared your joie de vivre! He must have been very proud of his wonderful daughter. Good luck at the auction. Marie

    ReplyDelete